President Donald Trump’s critics pounced earlier this week after alleged details of his private call with the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson, one of the soldiers killed in the Niger ambush, were leaked by Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-FL).
But amid the controversy and needless politicization, another Gold Star widow released her somber phone call with Trump to the public, which she says shows the president understood her family’s loss.
Natasha De Alencar lost her husband, Army Staff Sgt. Mark R. De Alencar, in Afghanistan on April 8. He was killed during a gun battle with Islamic State terrorists. He died a hero.
In addition to a loving wife, he left behind five children.
Just four days after receiving the worst news of her life, Natasha De Alencar received a phone call. It was President Trump.
“I am so sorry to hear about the whole situation,” Trump said to the widow. “What a horrible thing except that he’s an unbelievable hero and you know all the people that served with him are saying how incredible he was, and just an amazing, an amazing guy.”
The president added, “I just wanted to call you and just tell you that he’s a great hero.”
President Trump later invited De Alencar and her entire family to visit him in the Oval Office.
“If you’re around Washington, you come over and see me at the Oval Office, OK?” he said.
De Alencar told The Washington Post her call with the president meant a lot to her and her entire family.
“It was a moment of niceness that we needed because we were going through hell,” she said.